Coverage of Rita from Two Houston Apartments

Friday, September 23, 2005

Wind

I went to Rice today for lunch because it's the only place I know of serving food. The wind is starting. On the drive there I saw a number of trees swaying, invisible hands carrying leaves around in circles. These are definitely hurricane winds.

At Rice, the kitchens are operating way above capacity. Many tens of people who don't usually are eating there today, from the Rice campus maintenance staff to old grandmothers apparently accompanying their children. in the Hanszen commons it is difficult to make out more than a few Hanszenites among the crowd.

I leave Rice and the wind is slightly worse. The trees sway just a bit more. Next to the medical center stand 3 massive cranes -- probably 20 stories or more. They're abandoned now, their long arms hanging uselessly over the city like eaves of a tree. I imagine one of those falling could do quite a bit of damage to the surrounding area. It's too bad I don't have a video camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home