Coverage of Rita from Two Houston Apartments

Friday, September 23, 2005

Rice evacuating dorms

Rice University Housing department has decided that some dormitories are unsafe and has ordered a mandatory evacuation. For now, I know that all of Weiss and the new Brown wing (quads) have been deemed unfit to weather the storm due to the amount of glass that they have.

All of Weiss is being moved into the commons (South Servery) starting at around 7:00 tonight. Brown is being moved into Brown Tower, to stay inside along the hallways.

Even in those places, I am not sure how safe the students will be. The South Servery particularly is made of high, arched walls covered mostly with glass.

For now, I'm duct-taping my blinds to my windows in the vain attempt to contain the glass should the windows break.

1 Comments:

  • How the hell is are the Wiess Commons supposed to be safer than Wiess rooms? It's all glass!

    By Blogger Mathias Ricken, at 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home