Coverage of Rita from Two Houston Apartments

Friday, September 23, 2005

Took a Walk

I just took a 10-minute walk around my area of town. Justin is right, the winds are pretty strong already. Trees are swaying, and I've seen some dust twisters. I was wearing shorts, and the sand blowing along the ground was moving so fast, it was hurting my legs. It's not wind like we've never experienced it, it's probably going about 25 mph, but considering that the wind will probably get three, four times stronger, this is frightening.

The city is almost dead. I'm pretty sure that two thirds of the residents in my complex have left. The parking lot is nearly empty, the parking lots of the nearby stores are absolutely deserted. During my walk along Kirby, one of the major arteries in this part of Houston, I've probably seen ten cars. I snapped some pictures for comparison purposes. I don't know if I can upload them already, I need to find the drivers for my laptop, but I'll try.

The wind is there, the clouds look pretty threatening already, but what just makes the situation really eerie is the temperature: It's still pretty damn hot, 94 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius). With that heat and so few people around, it feels more like a nuclear missile struck somewhere nearby. Not like I have any experience to base that comparison on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home